Well, I have now been living in Mexico City for exactly one year and thirteen days, and I thought I would share with you some of my observations on various aspect of Mexican life that I have encountered:
- The Mexicans are some of the most polite and courteous people I have come across (except when they are driving)
- They dress according to the official season and not to the actual weather. If it’s supposed to be Autumn, they will dress for Autumn wearing jeans, jumpers, boots, scarves and jackets, despite it being sunny and 28°C outside!
- Chivalry is still alive – as a woman you will never have to open a door, or pull out your own chair as long as you are here. Note: this does not apply while driving.
- Plastic surgery is perfectly acceptable – the older you are, the tighter your face
- Spending 3-4 hours in the salon every morning is the daily routine for the women of Polanco.
- Tipping is a way of life. Be prepared to tip everyone you encounter – which means carry lots and lots of loose change.